Establishing an online presence starts by having your own website. One of the simplest ways of kickstarting your presence is by setting a blog. Blog is easy to set up and free through platforms like Blogger, WordPress, TypePad and other blog providers.
Nowadays, entrepreneurs set up a WordPress blog with a paid web hosts. It’s a famous choice as hosted blogs with paid domain rank better on search engines while setting a brand for a business. Moreover, utilizing WordPress extends comprehensive control for blog plugins and content management.
If you’re planning to own a blog, here are some tips that will help you get your self-hosted WordPress blog running soon.
Blog setup preparation
Building a blog is faster as long as all essentials are ready for input or setup. Prepare the following essentials for faster blog building:
- Web host choices. Web hosts are the sites or servers where blog files will be saved and ready for hosting. We list and compare several web hosts here and help make your decision. Or you may get one web hosting account with best web hosting company Bluehost at nominal charge of just $3.49/month.
- Domain name. A domain name will serve as your URL. They have extension names like .com, .org, .net and others. You must think of a good domain name for your blog. This is crucial if you’re starting a business and planning to establish your brand online.
Usually, domain name registration comes for free with web hosting plan and is beneficial if you haven’t registered it yet. On the other hand, it’s easy to use a registered domain with your new web host.
- Time. Setting up a blog won’t require a day, but it would be best for you to allot a lot of free time to ensure you’ll understand the whole process properly. You should complete the whole process within an hour.
- Mode of payment. Have a credit card or any online payment account(eg. paypal) for buying the web hosting.
Setting a web hosting account
After preparing the essentials, you can start registering for a web host account with your chosen host. All your blog files from contents, WordPress platform, plugins and other important files will be stored and ready for configuration. This is where you’ll need your list of web hosts.
Numerous web hosts currently offer their services for every client. Your list is probably composed of several popular names or highly recommended companies by other bloggers. In case you’re having a hard time choosing from your option, you may want to check Bluehost as a good candidate for your hosting service option. The company offers the following features that you’ll love as a blog owner:
- High reliability percentage. Reliability is the heart and soul of a good web host. Bluehost offers around 99.9% uptime, assuring your blog will be available online.
- Ease of use. The term web host intimidates first time or non-technically adept blog owners. Nevertheless, Bluehost guarantees easy-to-use platform that makes it a convenient solution for everyone.
- Unlimited web host essentials. Bluehost extends unlimited hosting essentials that satisfy its clientele. Essentials include domains, disk space, bandwidth and email accounts will work as your investment. More space and unlimited service mean long-term use and scalable solution for keeping more websites.
- WordPress support. Using WordPress offers countless benefits and what you’ll like about Bluehost is its compatibility with the website platform. WordPress itself recommends this web host, garnering trust from individuals building a site or a blog.
- Customer support. Bluehost satisfies clients with its 24/7 customer support available through chat, email or phone. Customer staff is located in the United States, making them easy to reach for clients within the country.
- Affordable plans. Bluehost offers numerous plans at cheap prices without sacrificing quality services.
Now that you know its features, you can start creating your account with Bluehost. Steps in setting up your account are as follows:
- Log in to Bluehost website.
- Click on Sign Up button on the site.
- Place your domain name if you haven’t registered yet through other registration services.
- Choose an extension name suitable for your page such as .com, .org, .net, etc.
- Click Next.
- Place account information details.
- Select a plan.
Important note: Bluehost plans are as low as $3.49 up to $5.95 per month. The longer contract you obtain, the lower monthly fee you need to pay.
- Type in your billing information.
- Read and accept Terms of Service and click Next.
- Verify payment mode and credit card details.
- Choose an upgrade option. If you’re a new blog owner, you may not need extensive upgrades as of now. Skip this part instead and click Complete at the bottom part of the page.
- Create password to protect your account. It’s recommended to use the Password Generator to create passwords that are difficult to hack to ensure account protection. Copy the password in your computer.
- Click the Create button to create your account.
- Log on to your domain name by typing it on the URL field. Enter your password and login. The next page is your cPanel or the control panel where you can install blog essentials.
During the account creation, it’s possible for you to receive an error message. Don’t worry as the system is simply processing your account, which may take several minutes. In case you continue to receive these error messages, call Bluehost or chat with its customer support service.
Going back to the domain registration, you shouldn’t be worried about registration with Bluehost. You simply need to look for the link that lets you transfer, renew or upgrade your domain registration. It will direct you to the Domain Details site and look for Nameservers field. Click on Set Nameservers option and simply place your webhost information on the respective fields. Click OK and you’ll be all set. Wait for 24 hours to complete the process.
Once activated, you can continue with the account creation and choose I Have a Domain Name option. Type your Domain name and click Next. This procedure is done and you can continue with the rest of account registration procedures with Bluehost.
WordPress is the platform you’ll use for blog and plugin management. To set your expectations, you’ll see several buttons during the process of installing WordPress. However, don’t be overwhelmed with these buttons because installation process is simpler than what it seems to be.
Installation starts at the cPanel page, where you’re currently logged in right now. Steps to setup WordPress are the following:
- Look and click on the Website Builders link.
- Click the WordPress logo.
- Click on the same WP logo under Blogs, which is a script you’ll install on your site.
- Wait for the Mojo account loading process to complete.
- Click Start when the next Install WordPress page loads.
- Choose the domain where you plan to install WP.
- Click the Check Domain for your chosen domain.
- Select the option “Directory Exists! I understand that continuing will overwrite files” for your new blog.
- Once again, click on Check Domain.
- On the ‘You are almost there’ page, leave the Advanced Options unchecked and click on the terms and conditions.
- Click Install Now.
- Save information about Blog URL and logins displayed on the next page. Check your email as well as Bluehost will send them as copy.
Log in to WordPress
After completing the installation process, you can login to your WordPress page. Enter your username and password. You’ll be directed to WordPress dashboard, where you can post your blogs and insert photos if needed.
Create your first content
This is the part when you can start creating your blog posts and display them online. Steps for writing your post are the following:
- Click Posts found on the menu at the left side and choose Add New.
- Type your first post. It can be as simple as a welcome page. Write the title and your content.
- Insert pictures or other media through the Multimedia button on the page.
- Click Publish or Save Draft.
- Visit your blog and see your first post.
You need to access your site several times in a day or week. Bookmark your blog’s login page, which usually ends with /wp-admin syntax for easy access.
Now that you have completed your blog, you can start adorning it with themes that will set your brand or match your blog contents’ theme. Themes are available for free or at cheap prices that you’ll surely love. Enjoy blogging with your new blog powered by WordPress and best web hosting company Bluehost.